Our determination to squeeze four races into the latter part of the 2020/21 membership year was thwarted by lockdown mark 3. The 1 mile and 10k events in September and October were well attended and produced some impressive individual results. Points have been credited from these races to this year's series if the 2020 times were faster, or the athlete did not repeat the race on the dates below:
Tuesday 11th May 2021 10k
Tuesday 8th June 2021 1 mile
Here are the other races in the series:
Saturday 18th September 2021 5k
Saturday 13th November 2021 10mile
Points are awarded for participation and for improvement on past performance. There is a trophy each for the man and lady runner with the most points.
Grand Prix Points
Currently for all of the races, runners' average times over the last three years are taken as a benchmark.
In order to set a feasible goal, target times are then devised as follows:
- 1 & 3 miles & 5k Target time = Average + 30 seconds
- 5 miles & 10k Target time = Average + 60 seconds
- 10 miles and half marathon Target time = Average + 100 seconds
20 points are allocated for just running, then additional points are gained by running inside your target time, more precisely:
- 1 & 3 miles & 5k 1 point for each second inside your target time
- 5 miles & 10k 1 point for every 2 seconds inside your target time
- 10 miles and half marathon 1 point for every 3 seconds inside your target time
Three year average times can decrease (get faster) by any amount, but can only increase (get slower) in any consecutive years by a maximum of:
- 1 & 3 miles & 5k 10%; 5 miles & 10k 7%; 10 miles and half marathon 5%
For new members or members who have no previous race history in any particular event(s), 50 points will continue to be awarded for just running each race. The times recorded will then be used for the following year's target.
Overall it is a fair system that equates recent performance with distance and gives everyone a fighting chance to win the two trophies.