All of the races which would normally count towards our 2020 Grand Prix Series have been cancelled. We have arranged some substitute races for the last few months of the year:
The club 1 mile (Tuesday 22nd September). This was a great success, with 20 runners rising to the Racecourse Road challenge.
The club 10k (Sunday 18th October);
Sherwood Pines Parkrun 5k (Saturday 14th November);
The club 10 mile (Sunday 29th November)
Points are awarded for participation and for improvement on past performance. There is a trophy each for the man and lady runner with the most points.
Grand Prix Points
Currently for all of the races, runners' average times over the last three years are taken as a benchmark.
In order to set a feasible goal, target times are then devised as follows:
- 1 & 3 miles & 5k Target time = Average + 30 seconds
- 5 miles & 10k Target time = Average + 60 seconds
- 10 miles and half marathon Target time = Average + 100 seconds
20 points are allocated for just running, then additional points are gained by running inside your target time, more precisely:
- 1 & 3 miles & 5k 1 point for each second inside your target time
- 5 miles & 10k 1 point for every 2 seconds inside your target time
- 10 miles and half marathon 1 point for every 3 seconds inside your target time
Three year average times can decrease (get faster) by any amount, but can only increase (get slower) in any consecutive years by a maximum of:
- 1 & 3 miles & 5k 10%; 5 miles & 10k 7%; 10 miles and half marathon 5%
For new members or members who have no previous race history in any particular event(s), 50 points will continue to be awarded for just running each race. The times recorded will then be used for the following year's target.
Overall it is a fair system that equates recent performance with distance and gives everyone a fighting chance to win the two trophies.