Health and Safety Policy
Health and safety are everyone's responsibility.
The following guidelines have been formulated by the Committee to ensure, as far as possible, the safety of club members and the general public during club training runs.
- Reflective vests must be worn from 01 October to 31 March.
- The session leader should ensure a mobile phone and a mini first aid kit is available during every club session
- A nominated whipper-in should stay at the back of the group during all training sessions
- Abide by the Highway Code
- Be aware of other road users and pedestrians to ensure that we do not cause a nuisance or inconvenience
- Face oncoming traffic whilst running on roads without adequate pavements
- If you have to run on the road no more than two abreast and single file if necessary
- Avoid overtaking on the road if there’s traffic coming
- Allow faster runners off first on busy roads to avoid unnecessary overtaking and straying off pavements
- Avoid congregating on corners or at junctions between training efforts
- Club training sessions during the dark winter nights must be run in well lit areas for obvious safety reasons
- In the event of a large turnout during running evenings it may be necessary to split into two groups, until the first effort point or what is considered a safe congregation point
- In the event of an adverse incident, the session leader should be informed, an a response co-ordinated by them to include any member's present who may be competent to assist
- The wearing of 'In Case of Emergency' identification is encouraged when running alone or with the club.
The Committee’s agreed areas to be avoided as unsuitable for training efforts during hours of darkness are:
- Burgage Lane
- Hopkiln Lane (except that part bordering the Glenfields block)
- Kirklington Road (except that part bordering the Glenfields block)
- Lane leading to Brackenhurst Equestrian Centre
Although there are no restrictions on training together, we would encourage all members to be responsible when attending club sessions.
If you do record a positive test, please inform the club with the date that you tested positive. We will then be able to inform any members who may have had close contact.